137 Pillars Hotels & Resorts was formed as a group in October 2015 to manage a growing portfolio of luxury boutique hotels. The first important milestone was the creation of 137 Pillars House Chiang Mai which opened on December 23, 2011. The historic original teak homestead built in the late 1800’s, known as Baan Borneo, was completely transformed back to its former splendor. The grounds were developed into a lush tropical landscape and 30 expansive suites were built. With full services and facilities, 137 Pillars House emerged as the leading luxury hotel in Chiang Mai. Corporate General Manager Anne Arrowsmith helms the brand, overseeing operations for both hotels as well as future development of the brand both domestically and internationally.
The great historic background of the Borneo Company Ltd. with its then famous leading actors Louis Leonowens and William Bain, gave the present day owners the vision to renovate and restore the beautiful homestead. Their love of the environment enabled the owners to retain all the old majestic trees under careful supervision of experts in the area, to set the tone and ambiance for the setting we have come to know and love today. In 2016, 137 Pillars House attained the coveted Travel + Leisure Magazine’s World’s Best Award for the Best Resort Hotel & Inn in South East Asia and was the highest ranked hotel in Thailand for that year. In 2017 the hotel again took the number one spot as Best Resort Hotel in South East Asia. This is testament to a great team driven by their own roadmap for achieving excellence and thus formed the core of the 137 Pillars Hotels & Resorts.
Following the success of the Chiang Mai property, the owners built 137 Pillars Suites & Residences Bangkok which opened in February 2017. The property consists of 179 residences and a 34-suite hotel on the top 6 floors with a stunning infinity edge rooftop pool exclusively for suite guests. With an upscale address on Sukhumvit Soi 39, the property is a short distance from the fashionable shopping district of EmQuartier/Emporium and offers bespoke facilities for leisure, business and long stay guests, including the use of their stylish, customized London Cab which operates between the hotel and EmQuartier.
137 Pillars Suites & Residences Bangkok features the brand’s signature Jack Bain's Bar and Cigar Divan, the exquisite Nimitr specialty restaurant – a fine dining destination offering the highest standards of modern cuisine drawing on both Oriental and Western inspirations. The Bangkok Trading Post Bistro & Bar is an all-day dining bistro, bar and deli appealing to local residents and guests. Accommodation interiors showcase a warm palette of rich tones with exquisite white and grey marble bathrooms and expansive use of mirrors and glass. The Nitra Serenity Centre offers a range of treatments including the 137 Pillars Hotels & Resorts Signature Sleep by Design Therapy created in 2017 and has a separate yoga and meditation sala offers activities including aerial flow yoga, tai chi, reiki and dance. Guest Service Centre is located on Level 27, features male and female separate shower facilities for guests to use to refresh or relax in the event rooms are fully booked and early check-in as well as late check-out are required. Other services include 137 Pillars signature dining, a personal shopping service and guide, privately curated and customized tours, personal trainers on request, and meeting space.
Growing on the success of these two established properties, the owners are looking to strategically develop new properties in Southeast Asia and beyond that fit with the ethos of the 137 Pillars brand. Several projects are currently under consideration and development.
Our core value of trust formed a roadmap towards our ambition as a company to become the #1 Luxury Boutique Hotel Company in Asia. Our vision is to bring back the timeless qualities of genuine hospitality in an age of commoditisation of hotels. Our view as a company was born of the following beliefs:
- The luxury guest of today yearns for privacy from a stressful workplace, a place to rejuvenate their senses and where each individual is given time, care and attention from a team engaged in passionately curating the experience of every guest.
- Design that incorporates extraordinary attention to details, spacious accommodation with high ceilings, an unequalled sleep experience and space to spread out and enjoy every aspect of refined living during your stay with us.
- Our teams are trained in a manner that enables them to grow with us as individuals and to prosper as members of the 137 Pillars Hotels & Resorts well into the future.
Our group has invested heavily in developing our core platform with the hotels in Chiang Mai and Bangkok. From there we seek to expand our hotel services within South East Asia; initially in partnership with like-minded owners with a view to creating a genuine footprint for hospitality at the luxury boutique level.
In further developing the brand we envision further growth building on the fundamentals we have inspired in the development of both Chiang Mai and Bangkok. Our key brand initiatives seek to exercise the Art of Refined Living by:-
- Enhancement of every hotel with experiential content in each neighbourhood to give our guests a new level of connectivity into the community in which we operate.
- CSR activities that offer guests the opportunity to engage in a positive and enjoyable manner through events, such as the Asian Organic Food Festival which was held at both properties to support and showcase local organic farmers and suppliers, and raise funds for a local charity
- Sustainability and environmental programmes including reduction in use of plastic, composting organic waste and producing biochar for the soil to name a few
- The Nitra Serenity Centre philosophy for each property, expanding our engagement in improving the wellness of our guests and employees
- At each transition - from arrival to departure - to enable each guest to have a less stressful and more pleasurable experience of travel.
- While we use modern technology, we must never forget that the basis of true hospitality lies in the human interaction between us and our guests, and our ability to recognize and cater to our guests’ individual needs and preferences
- Offering timeless experiences that involve music, fashion, art, culture and history with hospitality being the common bond. By adhering to our rigorous standards and focusing on the personal touch in every interaction with our guests, we wish to create a warm homely environment where our guests feel truly welcome and at ease.
137 Pillars Hotels & Resorts is setting a platform for quality growth aimed at becoming a leading luxury boutique Hotel Company in Asia and to be known for hotels and resorts, "where life truly becomes legendary".
For more information and reservation enquiries, please contact 137 Pillars Hotels & Resorts
Tel: +66 2079 7137
Lee Sutton, Dynamic PR & Events
Tel: +65 8323 1240